Mark McGhee is a skilled trial attorney with advanced degrees in law and communications. Before beginning his litigation practice, Mark worked in higher education administration in Kentucky and Ohio. Since then, he has over twenty years of experience defending civil rights cases throughout West Virginia. His experience includes defense of high-exposure personal injury matters, insurance coverage disputes, premise liability, mass tort, and commercial contract disputes.
Mark’s clients can expect a dedicated and creative attorney with excellent writing and oral advocacy skills leading to a high level of success in winning cases on summary judgment or early dismissal. “I believe the key to a successful defense is listening to the client, remaining focused on their perspective, and being willing to change a position when appropriate to obtain the best possible result.”
Mark lives in Charleston with his wife, Rita, who owns the estate sale company “Sort My Space.” He enjoys following WVU sports, the Cincinnati Reds and Cincinnati Bengals. In his free time, Mark is an avid book collector focusing on Twentieth-Century first edition fiction.
- Defense Trial Counsel of West Virginia
- Kanawha County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- State ex rel. W. Virginia Reg'l Jail Auth. v. Webster, 242 W. Va. 543, 546, 836 S.E.2d 510, 513 (2019)
- M & S Partners v. Scottsdale Ins. Co., 277 F. App'x 286 (4th Cir. 2008)
REPRESENTATIVE LEGAL WORK
- Represented the West Virginia Division of Corrections and Rehabilitation in excessive force cases brought in Federal and State Court.
- Represented correctional officers in civil rights suits filed in Federal and State Court.
- Represented police officers in civil rights suits filed in Federal and State Court.
- Represented the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources in employment civil actions, including obtaining a defense verdict at trial.
- Represented various government entities in mass tort suits.
- Represented real estate agents and appraisers in professional negligent matters.
- Represented numerous employers in cases involving wrongful discharge and sexual harassment.
- Represented numerous motor vehicle operators alleged to have operated vehicles in a negligent manner.
- Represented manufacturers and retailers in products liability and construction litigation cases.
Additional Legal Experience
- Attorney/Non-Equity Partner, Anspach Meeks Ellenberger LLP (January 2022-March 2022)
- Attorney/Of Counsel, Anspach Meeks Ellenberger LLP (July 2018-December 2021)
- Attorney/Of Counsel, Allen Kopet & Associates
- Attorney, Mannion & Gray Co., L.P.A.
- Assistant Attorney General, West Virginia Office of the Attorney General
- Law Clerk, Fifth Circuit of West Virginia
- News, April 2022
- Civil Rights Litigation
- Commercial/General Litigation
- Employment Law
- Municipal Liability
- Premises Defense
- Products Liability
- Vehicular Negligence